How do you know you’re ready to hire a Communication coach? How do you know you’re ready to work with someone on your verbal and non-verbal communication skills? Here are a few questions to help you make this decision; but the last question is the most important.
1. Are you tired of trying to do it alone? If you keep experiencing the same Communication mistakes over and over again, it’s probably time to hire a coach. No matter how smart or capable you are, you can’t do everything all by yourself. Human beings don’t excel in isolation; but they thrive around others. A great coach will point out your Communication patterns and habits and help you better express what you’re trying to say.
2. Can you afford it? Do you have professional development funding available? Does your organization allow you to use professional development money on coaches to develop your Communication skills? If not, have you set aside any money for this? How much is it worth to you to develop a skill you will use everyday, in every situation, for the rest of your life?
3. Do you value their expertise?
A great coach isn’t cheap. A great coach should have extensive education and experience in the area you want to develop. Anyone can call themselves a “coach” but not everyone is qualified to be one. Do you value the coach’s expertise enough to pay them what they’re worth? Do you value their teaching experience and believe they can help you reach your goals?
4. Are you truly ready to learn? If you aren’t ready to learn, don’t hire a coach. It will be a waste of your money and a waste of their time. There’s no point in hiring someone if you don’t think you need them and aren’t willing to learn from them.
Being ready to learn means you’re willing to:
- feel vulnerable and expose your weaknesses to your coach.
- ask questions that might make you feel dumb or embarrassed.
- listen to constructive critiques and actually hear what your coach is telling you.
- practice the skills on your own (and yes, that might mean doing a little homework) to achieve your goals.
If you answered “yes” to the questions above, congratulations! You’re ready to hire a communication coach. You’re ready, willing, and able to enhance your communication skills and enjoy the next level of professional success in your life.
Invest in yourself. Contact me today.
Dr. Alexis Carreiro
Dr. Alexis Carreiro earned her Ph.D. from the University of Texas-Austin in 2010. As a professor, presenter, and public speaker, she has spent more than 15,000 hours sharpening her communication competencies. As The Pitch Prof, she coaches and mentors her clients to help them reach their professional goals.